"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Monday, March 21, 2011

FAMILY: Andy-dotes

WE NOW RETURN TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POSTS. . .   

This week, Lord willing, I will amuse and amaze you with Andy-dotes--otherwise known as anecdotes about my nephew Andy. (Twenty this year, he now prefers to be called Andrew.)

Sunday, March 26, 1995
     On this, the occasion of the fourth birthday of Andrew Scott Haislip, Esq., being conscious of the unlikelihood that any other person acquainted with these matters has undertaken to record them for posterity, I do now therefore set my hand to making such accurate account as one privy only to secondhand reports may attempt, with the humble purpose that such account, though inadequate, may yet improve upon the making of no account at all:
     To wit, the precocious, amusing or startling observations of the child during his first four years.
Andy with Grandpa Cecil and Grandma Marge Shaver

My earliest memories of Andy
c. 6 months
     Just about the time he was beginning to pull himself to his feet, I babysat Andy for the first time. He was lying on his stomach on the carpet, facing away from me, away from the window. I noticed he kept raising his right hand, turning it and opening and closing his fingers--but he wasn't looking at it. He was gazing at the wall, about a foot in front of him. I realized he was looking at the shadow of his hand and that he was consciously proving to himself that he was causing and changing the shadow.

c. 15 months
     Andy came to our house, found the Mickey Mouse blocks and stacked seven of them--on the carpet. I checked Ben's baby book, which has a developmental schedule chart. At his age, it said he should be able to "build a tower of 2 cubes" on a flat surface.

c. 2 years
     His verbal ability was remarkable. He had a big vocabulary, good pronunciation, could create 4-word sentences. After "Mama" and "Daddy," I think his first phrase was "Whuzzat?" He could answer questions like "Where's the puzzle?" with "Puzzle - Marge" (i.e., at Grandma Marge's house). At 27 months he was using 6-word sentences: "I want to see my mama."

c. 3 years
Scene: In bed, to mother.
Andy: (Reading digital wall clock): It's seven o'clock.
Mother, from next room: You can get up it you want.
Andy: But I have a sitch-a-tion here. (Turned out a plastic dinosaur was tangled in his blanket.)

Andy told his mother something and she repeated his words.
Andy: Now you're speaking my language. (Language! And where did he get the idea it's his? What presumption!)


Continued


Today I am thankful for berries, bananas, kiwi, papaya, mango, pineapple, and Pink Lady apples--but not honeydew melon. 

NEW JAPAN-RELATED POSTS BEING ADDED BELOW

No comments:

Post a Comment