"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Friday, December 16, 2011

Glimpses of Grace 21: In His hands

     The following Sunday morning while we were singing in the main service, I asked God again to search my heart and reveal whether we are the ones believing lies or if I have sinned against anyone in anything I have said or written about the leaders of this church. I told him it does not matter what happens to me.      
     If I am wrong, I told him, if I have hurt any innocent person, do to me whatever You will--like King David when God offered him three disciplinary options, "Let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men!"
     I told God whatever punishment I deserve if I am the one deceived is deserved--shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?--"but Lord, You and Your reputation are what matters. You are good, kind, all-loving, all-righteous, Almighty, all knowing, everywhere present. There is none like You! All I care about is that You be glorified. Even if we are right, it does not matter what happens to me, they cannot separate me from You, they cannot destroy my soul. At 'worst,' I will just go be with You forever. That is a good thing."
     As I prayed, I felt slight but definite pressure in the centers of the palms of my hands. I looked at them and could not see anything. But God spoke to my spirit and said, The nails which went through My hands are going through yours, too. I was persecuted and you are being persecuted with Me. We are being nailed to the cross together. I am with you. 
      Wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment