"We have found him, of whom Moses. . .and the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."
Nazarenes Philip to Nathanael
The climate of Israel when Jesus was born was one of expectancy. Although disillusioned before by false Messiahs, the Jews clung to the promise in their Scriptures that God would send them a deliverer through the line of King David. These Scriptures (the Christians' Old Testament) give hundreds of hints about this man.
Let's look at the prophecies written about this Messiah (or Christ). Many of these are repeated in the book of Matthew, which was written for the purpose of convincing Jews that Jesus of Nazareth was their long-awaited Messiah.
1. Was Jesus in the line of King David?
a. Luke 1:26-33, esp. verses 27 and 32
b. Genealogy in Matthew 1:1-16, esp. vs. 1,6, and 16.
c. Genealogy in Luke 3:23-38, esp. v. 31
2. What other Messianic prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus' conception and birth?
a. Compare Isaiah 7:14 with Matthew 1:18-23
b. Compare Micah 5:2 with Matthew 2:4-6
BONUS QUESTION: Can you explain why Jesus was named Jesus and not Immanuel?
3. What prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus' life? Compare Isaiah 61:1-2 with Luke 4:16-21
4. Did Jesus ever claim to be the Messiah?
a. Mark 14:61, 62
b. John 4:25, 26
c. Matthew 11:2-6
d. Matthew 16:13-17
e. Mark 15:2
5. Of whom did Jesus claim the Old Testament writers (Moses, the prophets, writers of the Psalms) were writing?
a. Luke 24:44
b. John 5:39
c. John 5:46-47
6. Compare how he is pictured in the following passages. (These are called "types.")
a. Exodus 17:6 and I Corinthians 10:3-4
b. Exodus 16:4 and John 6:31-35
c. Numbers 21:8,9 and John 3:14, 15
d. Luke 23:44, 45 and Hebrews 10:19-20
e. Exodus 12:21-23, John 1:29 and Revelation 13:8
7. What was the testimony of contemporaries of Jesus?
a. Peter, in Matthew 16:13-17 and Mark 8:27-30
b. Andrew, in John 1:41
c. Philip, in John 1:45
8. Compare these details in Zechariah 9:9, Psalm 118:26, Isaiah 56:7, Jeremiah 7:11 and Psalm 8:2 with Matthew 21:1-17
9. What misconception did some people have about the Messiah?
a. Peter in Matthew Matthew 16:21-23
b. General public, in John 12:30-34
How do the following Old Testament prophecies refute these misconceptions about the Messiah?
a. Isaiah 53:7-10
b. Daniel 9:26a
10. What prophecies were fulfilled at Jesus' death?
a. John 19:23, 24
b. John 19:28, 29
c. John 19:33-37
Based on this lesson, WHO IS THIS MAN?
(To be continued February 13)
Today I am thankful for water.