"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Monday, February 21, 2011

MUM: The distant past is always with us

From my journal, Dec. 16, 1984

     As Mum was leaving Bible study the other night I noticed her Bible was still on the coffee table. I handed it to her at the door as she was saying her goodbyes. We had no more than gotten home when the phone rang. It was the host of the Bible study reporting that Mum had left her purse.
     Last night she came with Rick and me (in the rain) to a Crusade for Life Christmas potluck. We were supposed to bring a dessert. She made one but forgot to bring it.
    I suppose it's typical. She remembers details of events 65 years ago. When she came to our house to get her purse the day after Bible study she made us each a cup of tea and we sat down at the dining table and she told me she'd been asked to speak at an annual gathering of women's organizations on March 3rd.
     "March 3rd," I repeated. "Girls' Day in Japan."
     "And David Dorn's birthday. My only cousin. He was 15 months older than I was and I really looked up to him. He taught me how to spit peas." She giggled. "I was about three and he was four. We had a lot of fun until my mother came in and found us. I didn't have a brother to teach me things so David opened up a whole new world to me. I'd always thought peas had to be eaten!"
     We both laughed.

Today I am thankful for Trader Joe's Nutty Bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment