"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Personal Interview with Chuck Colson, 1987 (on Oliver North)

     News of Chuck Colson's Homegoing stirred 25-year old memories in me. I dug into my files and found the yellowed clipping of my interview with him in 1987, back in the days when I free-lanced for metropolitan newspapers. This newspaper happened to be my hometown Long Beach Press-Telegram. Mr. Colson graciously made time for the interview at the Christian Booksellers Convention in Anaheim, soon after the Oliver North hearings.
       I admired the man Chuck Colson became, the man God could mould him into because he let himself be humbled and then was open to being taught. He learned from the sin his pride and sense of power led him into--during the months he served in prison for it.
     I'm grateful for the years he served prisoners and their families, the role model he was to us. I look forward to getting to know him better.
     I'll post the interview below, in two parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment