"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Grace under Siege 66: Gathering inward

     Fasting is a kind of dying--a weakening, a shrinking inside, a submitting, a letting go. It is grieving.
     At least this fast is. It is the dog whose master has died turning from his food and flopping across the doorway with a sigh, his head across his foreleg.
     In my case, it is gathering myself inward, silently praying, grieving and listening to the voice of God. It is waiting for God to work, standing when all that is left to do, all that can be done, is stand. It is bearing in my body the rage and contempt of the enemy, letting it batter me until it gives up and Christ wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment