"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Friday, July 22, 2011

Open mic

     I'm looking forward to our church's first "open mic" experience tomorrow night (7PM). It will be at the Seka Coffee House, Grace Brethren Church of Long Beach. Music, poetry--each of us has five minutes to read, recite, play, or sing. I'll be sharing the poem I wrote after my mother's homegoing.

                             HIROSHIMA DAY: August 6, 1990

                                    Once more, upon these graves
                                    without a corpse,
                                    where grass now grows--
                                    and folding chairs in rows--
                                    we sit respectfully
                                    at break of day
                                    and try to fan
                                    the flames away.

                                    Only cicadas scream
                                    and clouds of smoke
                                    rise as our foes'
                                    housewives and children rose.
                                    Rising, too, memories
                                    threaten to choke,
                                    such leveled dreams
                                    as they evoke.

                                    She did not burn with them--
                                    but she was here.
                                    Her ghost with theirs
                                    this cemetery shares.
                                    And all their horror, thirst,
                                    and agony
                                    with my new grief
                                    explodes in me.

                                                  --Jessica Reynolds (Shaver) Renshaw



     I love poetry--real poetry. My attempts to write real poetry (and other stuff) are at BONUS FEATURES. I lead with my best (the first have become the last), so scroll down to June 3, 4, and 5 for stories (When I Named the Kangaroo, The Swordfish and Howard) and start reading the poems from June 6 up (starting with Missionary Kid). Click on Newer posts at the bottom of each page to see more. Toward the end of July, when I run out of stories and poems, I switch to attempts at art photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment