JESUS: GOD IN FLESH
"My Lord and my God!"
Jesus' follower Thomas
We have been climbing from the commonly held opinion that Jesus is a "good man" and a "wise teacher" to the recognition that Jesus is the Son of God and our Savior.
Yet even people with these opinions may qualify that belief, considering him "better than any other human being but not quite divine."
We need to climb beyond these uncertainties to the pinnacle of revelation, to see the Jesus of the Bible in all His clarity and sovereignty. To Jesus, divine attributes are assigned. He is called by names reserved for God himself.
Let's examine these attributes and these names:
1. Who created the universe? Hebrews 1:8-10 (Verse 8 will tell you Who is being addressed.) What else does this passage say about Him?
2. For whom were all things created? What else do these passages say about Him?
a. Colossians 1:15-16
b. Hebrews 1:2
3. Who upholds the universe? Hebrews 1:3a What else does this verse say about Him?
4. Who is the Word of God? John 1:1, 14 What else do these two verses say about Him?
5. What divine attribute (quality) does Jesus demonstrate in Matthew 8:23-27?
6. What divine quality did Jesus demonstrate in Matthew 18:20 and Matthew 28:20?
7. What divine quality did Jesus demonstrate in Matthew 9:4 and Mark 2:8?
What was the testimony of the disciples in John 16:29-30? What does Colossians 2:2b-3 say about Jesus and knowledge?
8. What divine attribute is attributed to Jesus regarding His lifespan?
a. John 8:58 Before Abraham
b. John 17:5
c. Colossians 1:17
d. Hebrews 13:8
9. What divine authority does Jesus claim in Mark 2:5-7?
10. Compare Exodus 3:13, 14 and John 8:58. What title for God is Jesus applying to himself?
11. What divine title is Jesus the Messiah given in:
a. Isaiah 9:6
b. John 20:26-28
c. Titus 2:13
d. Hebrews 1:8
12. In Acts 20:28 Who is the verse saying is God?
12. How is Jesus the manifestation of God in the following verses:
a. John 1:1, 14, and 18
b. Colossians 2:9;
c. I Timothy 3:16;
d. 2 Corinthians 4:4
e. Philippians 2:6
f. Colossians 1:15
g. Hebrews 1:3
BONUS: One of the titles applied to Jesus is "Word of God." The
Bible is the written Word of God; Jesus is the living word (or
expression) of God. You might want to look up all the references to
"word" as it applies to Jesus. Use a concordance or a topical Bible
(online or otherwise).
Based on this lesson, WHO IS THIS MAN?
To be concluded March 20.
Today I am thankful for emergency search and rescue teams.