"You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I've ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They're slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love . . . No, wait--I'm thinking of Labrador retrievers!" David Learn, 1998

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cherokee's Memory Book, Chapter 2

JAPAN-RELATED POSTS BELOW
Hanging out with Uncle Tim
     Grandma and Grandpa named me Cherokee the Chow because it sounded noble and because the Cherokees are red people and I am red. One friend, Marvin, said Cherokee was too long a name for a dog. He always called me Rusty.
     Everybody liked me, even people who usually were scared of dogs because I was always so gentle and friendly. One couple, Tom and Bonnie, liked me so much they went out and got two puppies for themselves, even though the wife had never liked animals before.
     I loved everybody. Most chow-chows are one-person dogs. That means they love and protect their owners but they are mean to everyone else.
     I didn't see anybody as a stranger or an enemy. Grandma joked that if a burglar ever sneaked into our house, I would probably put my paws on his chest to greet him and say, "Would you like the TV? How about the VCR? Help yourself."
Carol, who had cancer, found me comforting
     Whatever the action was, wherever the people were, that's where I wanted to be. I'm a people dog! Besides people I liked going on walks and going for rides in the car. Whenever Grandma and Grandpa started out the front door for a walk, picked up the car key to go for a drive, even the grocery store, I wanted to go along. Remember how I said I could talk with my eyes? I had big, beautiful brown eyes that looked like they had eyeliner highlighting them. If I saw someone start to leave the house without me, my big fluffy tail would drop down and I would look at them with my big beautiful brown eyes until the person said I could go, too. It almost always worked.

     Sometimes Grandma even let me drive the car. Just kidding.











Today I am thankful for wheels.

JAPAN-RELATED POSTS BELOW:
--U.S. MILITARY HEROES IN SENDAI: Toys, chocolate--and an airport!
--HEROES: Sending socks to Sendai
--Radiation sickness: symptoms

No comments:

Post a Comment