They were terrified and asked each other,
"Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Followers of Jesus
We've looked at some of the things Jesus said, the so-called words in red. Some astounding things came out of his mouth--but anyone can boast. While he was making these outrageous claims, let us look at what Jesus was doing, especially with his hands.
Jesus seldom called them miracles or signs, though other people did; he called them "works."
1. What "works"did Jesus do? Matthew 9:35 What are some examples of his healing "every disease and sickness?" How did he heal in each case?
a. Mark 3:1-5
b. Mark 7:32-35
c. Mark 8:22-25
d. Mark 1:40-42
e. Mark 5:22-24 and 35-43, esp. 22, 23,35, 41 and 42.
a. Mark 1:23-26 (Note that casting out demons was also referred to as a form of healing. Note too that he did not touch demonized people to heal them.)
b. Mark 6:34-44, esp. verses 41-42
c. John 5:19
d. Matthew 14:22-27
e. John 2:1-11 and Mark 4:35-39
BONUS: Go through the words in red in the gospels and pick out other examples of things Jesus did (like overturning tables and writing in the dust!)
2. By what power did he claim to be doing these things? John 5:19 The son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the son also does in like manner.
3. What did Jesus claim was the purpose of these works?
John 14:11; John 10:37-38
4. How well did he claim to be accomplishing this purpose?
a. John 8:29b
b. John 14:31 I do exactly as the Father commanded me.
5. How did people respond to these works? What conclusions did they come to about him?
6. Did his enemies deny the fact of these miracles?John 11:47
What conclusion did one religious leader come to as a result of seeing Jesus' works? John 3:1-2
How did other religious leaders respond to his works? Mark 3:6
7. If you had seen Jesus do these things, what conclusion would you have come to about him? Based on this lesson, WHO IS THIS MAN?
(To be continued January 30)
Today I am thankful that when Jesus went back to heaven, he gave us authority to do the works he did: John 14:12.